Cedar Flat, Oregon
• Milepost 10.5:
Cedar Flat is the gateway to the McKenzie Valley. This area was once home to early McKenzie pioneer Samuel Sparks, who also homesteaded in the Blue River area, 30 miles to the east. In the late 1800’s this thriving community on the McKenzie’s south bank was sited in the hills at the end of Cedar Flat Road. It is located less than one mile from the first historic river crossing, Hendricks Ferry, now Hendricks Bridge. The Deli located here is the historic location of a former stage stop in the early 1900’s. Kintigh’s Tree Farm is located on Cedar Flat Road. The Kintigh family farm was chosen in 1995 to supply the Christmas tree for the White House in D.C. Their rhododrendron gardens are open to the public for tours in the spring. Groceries, gas, deli foods, drive-through espresso, and auto repairs may be obtained in Cedar Flat.
Hendricks Bridge milepost 11.4
Built in 1908 it was the longest covered bridge in Oregon. Although reconstructed twice, it was never covered again. It sits to the south of the old Hendricks river ferry site, which was run by another pioneer family in the valley.
Hendricks Wayside Park
This property was donated to the state in 1932 but is now a Lane County Park. It includes 17 acres of lovely riverside land with a boat landing, picnic sites, a wonderful, roped-off swimming area and flush toilets. This park is a day-use only area and is part of a fee system.