• MP 26.2: Goodpasture Covered Bridge:
Built in 1938 it is 165 feet long, making it the second longest in Lane County. It was named for Benjamin Franklin Goodpasture. The old Thomson ferry site was located just east of the bridge.
• MP 26.9: Vida
Named for the daughter of the first postmaster, Francis Pepiot, who settled here in 1868. The Minney family moved to the area in 1897 and purchased the Gate Creek Ranch and stage stop (red barn to the east of the community) from the Pepiots. Stage coaches would change horses here before continuing on to Belknap Springs, 32 miles to the east. From 1908-11 a state salmon hatchery was located on Gate Creek. The eggs came from fish which were caught by weirs placed across the entire river near where Leaburg Dam is now. After the eggs were harvested many of the salmon remains were given to Indians who came from Eastern Oregon, setting up camp and drying racks on an island in the river. The community now offers a dinner house, gas & groceries, real estate offices, cafe, post office and a fire station.
Thomson Lane, community center and Helfrich boat landing. An historic swinging bridge is located near the boat landing. It is now on private property but leads to the old Thomson homestead, once home of the historic Thomson Fishing Lodge.
Ben & Kay Dorris State Park: Donated to the state by Ben & Klysta Dorris in 1942, it is now maintained by Lane County Parks. Dorris was president of the Blue River Mining Company in the 1890’s. The Rock House, a rock overhang, where it is said pioneer road builder John Templeton Craig often stayed, is located about .5 mile east of the park entrance. If you go exploring be aware the grade is very steep to this point. Marten Rapids, best known of McKenzie River rapids, is also within the boundaries of the park. The rapids are named after T.M. Marten, state legislator, old civil war veteran and post master at Gate Creek in 1874. The park is day-use only, covers 79 acres, and has 10 picnic sites, a boat landing and public toilets. Drinking water is not available.
Rennie Boat Landing: A wildlife viewing platform is located on this spot.