Fire danger raised
September 10, 2014
Industrial Fire Precaution Level Increases on the Willamette National Forest
Due to increased fire danger levels, the Willamette National Forest is increasing the Industrial Fire Precaution Level (IFPL) to a three, effective 12:01 am on Thursday, September 11.
The IFPL applies to permitted and industrial operations, including woodcutting, on federal lands. IFPL III is considered a “partial shutdown.” Under a level III, the following activities are prohibited, except as indicated:
· Power saws – except at loading sites and on tractor/skidder operations between the hours of 8 P.M. and 1 P.M. local time;
· Cable yarding – except for gravity-operated logging systems employing non-motorized carriages operating between 8 P.M. and 1 P.M.
Other activities that are permitted only through the hours of 8 P.M. and 1 P.M. local time include:
· Tractor, skidder, feller-buncher, forwarder, or shovel logging operations where equipment with a blade capable of constructing fireline are immediately available;
· Mechanized loading or hauling of any product or material;
· Welding or cutting of metal;
· Any other spark emitting operation not specifically mentioned.
McKenzie River Reflections