Make the McKenzie Connection!

Roads blocked for "armed/menacing subject"

Police were able to take a man taken into custody without gunfire

MARCOLA: People traveling in the Marcola and Camp Creek areas on Monday afternoon were surprised to encounter police roadblocks. At about 4:30 p.m., Lane County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a report of menacing that occurred in the 37000 block of Parsons Creek Rd., Marcola. Motorists were stopped from accessing the area after spike strips were placed on the roadway near the Riverview Market and access along Camp Creek Road was blocked near McKenzie Fire & Rescues Station #2. Some motorists also reported traffic on 42nd Street was blocked up to Highway 126.

Police report the suspect, Shane Leroy Doyle, 51, had arrived at the location and pointed a firearm at several victims during a dispute. He then left in a vehicle.

While deputies were en route to the call, they spotted Doyle’s vehicle and initiated a traffic stop. Doyle pulled over, started driving again, and then stopped in the area of Marcola Road and Hayden Bridge Road. Doyle refused to comply with instructions to exit the vehicle.

Deputies were able to observe the interior of the vehicle from a distance by launching a Sheriff’s Office drone to scope out the scene. According to a press release, they were able to determine Doyle had a pistol, rifle, and a shotgun inside his vehicle. He reportedly was often seen holding the handgun or had it in the seat next to him.

Deputies with the LCSO Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT) were also able to contact the suspect by phone. During their phone conversations, they de-escalated Doyle from suicidal statements and threatening behavior. Eventually, negotiators were able to convince Doyle to comply with instructions and he surrendered to authorities.

After more than an hour of negotiation, police were able to safely take Doyle into custody. He was lodged at the Lane County Jail on four counts of Unlawful Use of a Weapon and four counts of Menacing.

A spokesman for the Lane County Sheriff’s Office said they would like “to thank the Oregon State Police and Springfield Police for their quick response to assist with bringing this call to a safe conclusion for all involved.”


Reader Comments(0)