McKenzie River Reflections - Make the McKenzie Connection!

Walterville, Oregon


Walterville, Oregon Community signWalterville

This community was named after Walter Millican, son of a pioneer family whose descendents have lived in the area since the 1860’s. The Millican Century Farm is located at mp 13 and is open for viewing by appointment only. A member of the Millican family runs Triangle 5 Ranch will offers historic horseback tours through the foothills above the Century Farm. Another historic building, the George Millican Memorial Hall, is at the east end of Camp Creek Road, behind the Walterville Shopping Center. Each year on the first Saturday in September the Walterville Community Fair is held on this site. The building which houses the Walterville Feed & Tackle store is the first store located in this area in the early 1900’s, with the post office box of #1. Walterville Pond, just east of the center on the EWEB canal, is a good spot to catch bass. The Presbyterian church is located near the canal. This community is the home of the only shopping center in the Valley - it includes a restaurant, supermarket, feed and tackle store, post office, massage, and a beauty shop. In old town Walterville, just to the southeast of the shopping center has historic farm buildings still standing. The large wooden barn was once home to another feed store which operated in the late 1800’s Just to the west of the center, the McKenzie Fire Station is located on Millican Drive.

Photo of Walterville Fair Parade


Camp Creek Road runs behind the shopping center to the southwest. This rural roadway will take you back to Springfield and I-5. Bellinger Boat Landing is located on this road. Camp Creek flows into the McKenzie River between Thurston and Walterville. There are two stories about how the area was named. One story is pioneers found an Indian camp near the stream, called Chaston by the Indians. Another story says the stream was named because a party of pioneers chasing Indian stock thieves camped there. Camp Creek post office was established July 12, 1871, with William Pattison, Jr. first postmaster. This office was closed to Springfield, Sept. 15, 1922. The Fountain Century Farm is located on Camp Creek and the historic EWEB power plant still stands next to a refurbished 1800’s farm house.



Swimming near Deerhorn Park


Deerhorn Park is located on Bridge Street about a half mile off Hwy. 126 at milepost 18. Take Holden Creek Lane to the south, cross over the bridge to Bridge Street, the park is on the left. Facilities include a boat dock, toilets, picnic tables, and a great swimming hole. Continuing on Bridge Street you will find a 9 hole golf course. If you follow Madrone Street to where it intersects with Deerhorn to the west there is a refurbished antique railroad car.



Leaburg Power Plant located on the north side of the river at milepost 19.5. It was constructed in 1929 and is owned and operated by Eugene Water & Electric Board. It was the utility’s second of three hydro projects in the Valley.


Reader Comments(0)


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Mck Mag Logo
Mck Phone Book Logo
Mck Travelers Guide Logo

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2022

Rendered 02/01/2023 19:14